Skin care tips from dermatologists
Tempted to corner the dermatologist you meet at a cocktail party for her best skin care advice? No need. We asked top experts in the field how they keep their skin young, fresh, and glowing 24/7.
Pour on the Protection
To ensure she layers on enough sunscreen ("the best way to keep skin youthful"), Garland, TX-based dermatologist Lisa Garner, MD, president of the Women's Dermatologic Society, fills the hollow of her palm (about ½ teaspoon) with a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to coat her face, neck, and ears. "I usually have to apply two coats to finish what I've squeezed out, but that's how I make sure I'm covered."
Look Sun-Kissed
"A little tint takes years off your face by evening out your skin tone," which a recent study found is a key marker of youthfulness, says Ranella Hirsch, MD, a dermatologist in Cambridge, MA. Her favorite for a natural look: Olay Complete Touch of Sun Daily UV Moisturizer + A Touch of Sunless Tanner ($15; drugstores), a lotion with a low level of self-tanner.